To ensure your health, safety, and security in countries outside the United States, the George Washington University (GW) Risk Management offers the International Travel Insurance and Assistance Program that provides insurance coverage and travel assistance services for employees engaged in overseas university-related travel.

Faculty and staff traveling abroad on university business are automatically covered by HTH Worldwide’s GeoBlue insurance plan. Details regarding the plan can be found on the International Travel Insurance and Assistance Program page.

If your trip is not booked through iBuy+ system, you have to register to access important plan information by following steps from GW's Office of International Programs.

Please print and carry the emergency contact card, provided by Office of International Programs, during your travel as it includes emergency contact information for both GW and HTH. You can also review GW’s International Travel Insurance Policy (PDF).

Employee Benefits

In addition to GeoBlue, your GW UnitedHealthcare as well as Aetna Dental plans may offer additional support while you are abroad. Check Coverage for International Travel through UnitedHealthcare for The George Washington University Health Plans (PDF) and International Dental Coverage (PDF) for more details and be sure to pay attention to vaccination requirements (PDF) before leaving the U.S.

Employees who are covered by The Standard, GW's life and disability vendor, may also continue their benefits and are eligible for The Standard's travel assistance service while abroad.

If you go on personal or professional leave, regardless the location, you can continue life, AD&D, and disability benefits for up to 12 months. If you work internationally, the life, AD&D, and disability benefits remain intact for the duration of your international appointment. However, in either of situations, if the employee becomes disabled, he or she can only receive long term disability benefits for a maximum of 12 months while residing outside the U.S and Canada.

For more information, please visit Benefits Administration.