Registering a Vendor

For all international transactions, the supplier (payee) must be registered and active in the George Washington University’s (GW) Supplier Maintenance database.

To register international vendors, you must complete certain steps before they can provide services to GW:

  • Complete Supplier Registration Form.
  • Companies and organizations registered in the United States must complete and sign IRS Form W-9.
  • Non-U.S. companies and organizations must complete and sign IRS Form W-8BEN (as individuals) or W8-BEN-E (as entities).
  • Individuals who are independent contractors must complete and sign IRS Form W-9 (PDF) (U.S. individuals) and W-8BEN (non-U.S. individuals).
  • A Workers Classification Form completed by the hiring department/school/division may also be required.

(Please note: a W-8BEN or W-8BENE form has a life expectancy of three years from the supplier’s signature date on the form. Therefore, each form must be signed and dated by the supplier. Similarly, a Workers Classification Form has a life expectancy of two years from the Tax Department’s approval date. Should Accounts Payable detect an expired form when a new invoice is submitted for payment, the department submitting the invoice will be contacted and ask to provide a replacement form.)

  • An approved invoice from the supplier (payee) must be provided. A Payment Request Form (PDF) may be utilized with appropriate supporting documentation when an invoice cannot be provided.
  • All transactions must be approved pursuant to the Commercial Invoice Processing Policy (PDF).
  • Banking information for electronic payment is needed by GW ACH form or a copy of voided check.
  • ACH/Electronic Funds Transfers are recommended for most international payments unless the country has a reliable mail distribution system for checks.
  • Additional organizational personnel contacts.
  • Send documents or questions to [email protected] or call 571-553-0300.

To purchase a good or service that is located outside the U.S., purchase orders are not required. However, Procurement and Travel Services may be able to assist in procuring goods and services. Note, the university makes international payments upon receipt of the approved invoice.

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or call 571-553-0300. In addition, you can read additional information on New Supplier Registration.